Counterfeit US currency continues to be in circulation our business district. In order to address this concern, please be vigilant when accepting both Canadian and US currency.
CHECK YOUR NOTES – MAKE IT A HABIT
If you suspect that you have been offered a counterfeit note during a transaction, first assess the situation to ensure that your personal safety is not at risk. They do the following:
- Be courteous. Remember that the person in possession could be an innocent victim who does not realize the note is suspicious.
- Politely refuse the note and ask for another note (and check that too).
- If you have video surveillance or other evidence to identify the suspect, call the Vancouver Police Department – 604-717-3321. If no video evidence of the suspect is available, notify the Chinese Community Policing Centre @ 604-688-5030 so we may keep track.
- Familiarize yourself with the bank note security features. See: (www.bankofcanada.ca/banknotes/counterfeit-prevention) – Canadian, (www.newmoney.gov) – American, (http://www.secretservice.gov/money_detect.shtml)
- Turn in any suspected counterfeit currency to your local bank.
Contact our offices for more info:
Chinese Community Policing Centre
118 Keefer Street
*All info courtesy of Hastings Sunrise Community Policing Centre – thank you.